A list of the characters appearing in the Archie Comics.
The Archie gangEdit
- Archie Andrews, main character, a typical red-headed teenage boy with a great interest in dating. He tends to be clumsy and accident prone.
- Betty Cooper, the blonde girl next door, who is a good student, athlete, cook, and auto mechanic. She is obsessive about her major crush, Archie.
- Veronica "Ronnie/Ron" Lodge, the rich, stuck-up girl. Betty's best friend and rival for Archie's affections.
- Forsythe Pendleton "Jughead" Jones III, Archie's best friend, Jughead is sarcastic, obsessed with eating, lazy, and apathetic towards girls; however he is also portrayed to be very clever and knowledgeable on a wide variety of subjects, being second only to Dilton Doiley.
- Reginald "Reggie" Mantle III, the self-confident practical joker who can date anyone he wants. He is Archie's rival in both sports and the contest for the affections of Veronica.
Frequently appearing characters
- Frederick "Fred" Andrews, Archie's father who is pear-shaped, old-fashioned, and balding.
- Mary Andrews, Archie's typical all-American suburban mother.
- Hiram Lodge, Veronica's rich father; who often dreads meeting Archie due to Archie's clumsiness and knack for causing him trouble.
Less frequently appearing characters
- Hermione Lodge, Veronica's mother. Appears far less frequently than her husband, and rarely plays a significant role in most of the stories. She is mostly involved in charity work (also been called Julie circa 1980s).
- Hal Cooper, Betty's middle-class but hard-working father who works as a druggist.
- Alice Cooper, Betty's caring, highly supportive mother.
- Forsythe Pendleton Jones II, Jughead's father (referred to as Timothy Jones in one story), who looks just like his son, only older and balding.
- Gladys Jones, Jughead's mother.
- Marmaduke "Moose"/"Big Moose" Mason (earlier Moose McGee and in at least one story in the 50s, Moose gives his real name as "Merton Matowski."), a muscular star athlete who is a poor student and is possessive about his girlfriend, Midge. He also is known to be dyslexic.
- Midge Klump, Moose's girlfriend, who often gets annoyed at Moose because of his over-protection towards her. (earlier "Midge Collins")
- Dilton Donald "Dilly" Doiley, the very intelligent nerd and inventor.
- Ethel Muggs (earlier Ethel Dinklehof), a tall, stringy, somewhat dorky but goodhearted teenager who always tries to win over Jughead, albeit unsuccessfully.
- Chuck Clayton, an African-American athlete and cartoonist.
- Nancy Woods, Chuck's girlfriend.
- Toni Topaz, a friend and soulmate of Jughead Jones. Bisexual.
Faculty of Riverdale HighEdit
- Waldo Weatherbee, the school principal, popularly referred to as 'The Bee'. He is often a victim of Archie's clumsiness, and the latter frequently finds himself in detention.
- Geraldine Grundy, a teacher at Riverdale High. Usually portrayed as an English teacher. She mostly teaches every subject not including gym or chemistry. Most students consider her as a "nice" or "good" teacher. She is an older lady with white coloured hair.
- Benjamin Flutesnoot, science teacher (also band teacher in Little Archie).
- Coach Kleats, the head physical education teacher. He only teaches football and baseball.
- Coach Harry Clayton,Chuck's dad, also a physical education teacher. He is the basketball coach.
- Miss Bernice Beazley, the somewhat grouchy school cafeteria cook. No one likes her food besides Jughead. No one likes her but herself.
- Mr. Svenson, Swedish school custodian. He often stays at school when it is closed and cleans. A lot of the students like him and try to help him if he has problems. He also has a girlfriend named Olga.
- Other faculty members.
- Terry "Pop" Tate, (earlier Leo Tate) owner of the Chocklit Shoppe (in older comics, Pop's Malt Shop) where Archie and the gang frequently hang out.
- Minor characters in Archie Comics
- Jellybean Jones, Jughead's little sister. Her real name is Forsythia.
- Vegas, Archie's dog.
- Hot Dog, Jughead's faithful pet dog.
- Vader, Reggie's dog.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.